Queen of the South Inspired Cocktails and Treats
Dark cozy nights always consist of tv binging in my household. I always prefer to stick with dramas and romances while my significant other prefers watching action and comedies. Therefore, we typically end up watching two separate shows-movies. However, we thankfully stumbled upon Queen of the South on Netflix one evening and both became captivated by the series since it is a combination of both drama and action. The first season is on Netflix while the second season just began airing on USA Network 10/9c on Thursday nights. If you haven’t heard of this compelling show, let me fill you in a little — Queen of the South follows a woman, Teresa Mendoza, who slowly works her way up in the cartel world as she builds her own empire after moving to the United States from Mexico. And although she does some stuff that she is not necessarily proud of, she does it to create a better life for herself. As the show goes on, Teresa blooms like a butterfly — she began as a poor, hopeless woman and evolves to a strong woman with confidence, power and money as she undeniably becomes Queen Of The South.
My obsession over the show has also got others around me hooked on the show as well. With that in mind, I decided to host a Queenpin party so we can all party and enjoy watching Teresa slay at building her empire together. In spite of hosting a Queenpin Watch Party, I thought making Queen of the South inspired cocktails and treats was a must since ya know ya gotta munch while watching a plot twisting show! In regard to the show being partially based in Mexico, I decided to make my ultimate favorite Spanish dip with tortilla chips along with a fruity margarita. The chili bean dip is an easy peasy treat that you can never go wrong with. If you did forget, I am a vegetarian so I did use the vegetarian chili beans — which happens to taste as delicious as the original. I paired the Spanish dip with a watermelon margarita, which I refer it as the Mendoza Melon Margarita. This delicious cocktail is perfect to sip on hot summer days like now!
Queen of The South Inspired Cocktails and Treats
Mendoza Melon Margarita (6 servings)
- 5 cups of seedless, sliced and frozen watermelon
- 1 cup of silver tequila
- 1/2 cup of cointreau
- 1/2 cup of lime juice
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- Mix the sugar and water together to create a syrup.
- Heat the syrup in a pan over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Once cooled, add the syrup and frozen watermelon into the blender.
- Once the syrup and watermelon blend is smooth, add the remaining ingredients into the blender.
- Once you get a slushy consistency, you can now pour the margarita into a glass. Depending on your preference, you can also rim your glass with salt and serve with a lime!
Cheesy Cheese Chili Dip (12 servings)
- 1 can of Hormel chili with beans (15 oz)
- 1 package of cream cheese (8 oz)
- 1 package of shredded cheddar cheese (16 oz)
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- Heat up the chili beans in the stove top.
- Microwave the cream cheese for a minute.
- Spread cream cheese on the bottom of a glass dish.
- Layer the chili beans on top of the cream cheese.
- Pour the shredded cheese.
- Put in the oven (recommend method) until cheese has melted or microwave for 3-5 minutes.
- And voila — you can now serve the dip with some tortilla chips!
Fortunately, this chili bean dip is so quick and simple to make that even people with no cooking skills can make it. On the other hand, the Mendoza Melon Margarita certainly takes a little bit more time and effort. However, the outcome is always worth it! Everyone gobbled down the dip and slurped down the cocktail and are pleading for me to make it again for next episode. Will you be watching Queen of the South next Thursday night? If so, you should definitely try making this flavorful dip and cocktail the next time you tune in!