Queen of the South Inspired Cocktails and Treats

Dark cozy nights always consist of tv binging in my household. I always prefer to stick with dramas and romances while my significant other prefers watching action and comedies. Therefore, we typically end up watching two separate shows-movies. However, we thankfully stumbled upon Queen of the South on Netflix one evening and both became captivated by the series since it is a combination of both drama and action. The first season is on Netflix while the second season just began airing on USA Network 10/9c on Thursday nights. If you haven’t heard of this compelling show, let me fill you in a little — Queen of the South follows a woman, Teresa Mendoza, who slowly works her way up in the cartel world as she builds her own empire after moving to the United States from Mexico. And although she does some stuff that she is not necessarily proud of, she does it to create a better life for herself. As the show goes on, Teresa blooms like a butterfly — she began as a poor, hopeless woman and evolves to a strong woman with confidence, power and money as she undeniably becomes Queen Of The South.

Queen of the South

Queen of the South

Queen of the South

My obsession over the show has also got others around me hooked on the show as well. With that in mind, I decided to host a Queenpin party so we can all party and enjoy watching Teresa slay at building her empire together. In spite of hosting a Queenpin Watch Party, I thought making Queen of the South inspired cocktails and treats was a must since ya know ya gotta munch while watching a plot twisting show! In regard to the show being partially based in Mexico, I decided to make my ultimate favorite Spanish dip with tortilla chips along with a fruity margarita. The chili bean dip is an easy peasy treat that you can never go wrong with. If you did forget, I am a vegetarian so I did use the vegetarian chili beans — which happens to taste as delicious as the original. I paired the Spanish dip with a watermelon margarita, which I refer it as the Mendoza Melon Margarita. This delicious cocktail is perfect to sip on hot summer days like now!

Queen of the South

Queen of the South

Queen of The South Inspired Cocktails and Treats

Mendoza Melon Margarita (6 servings)

• 5 cups of seedless, sliced and frozen watermelon
  • 1 cup of silver tequila
  • 1/2 cup of cointreau
  • 1/2 cup of lime juice
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup of water

Directions

1. Mix the sugar and water together to create a syrup.
  2. Heat the syrup in a pan over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved completely.
  3. Once cooled, add the syrup and frozen watermelon into the blender.
  4. Once the syrup and watermelon blend is smooth, add the remaining ingredients into the blender.
  5. Once you get a slushy consistency, you can now pour the margarita into a glass. Depending on your preference, you can also rim your glass with salt and serve with a lime!

Queen of the South

Queen of the South

Cheesy Cheese Chili Dip (12 servings)

• 1 can of Hormel chili with beans (15 oz)
  • 1 package of cream cheese (8 oz)
  • 1 package of shredded cheddar cheese (16 oz)
  • 1 bag of tortilla chips

Directions

1. Heat up the chili beans in the stove top.
  2. Microwave the cream cheese for a minute.
  3. Spread cream cheese on the bottom of a glass dish.
  4. Layer the chili beans on top of the cream cheese.
  5. Pour the shredded cheese.
  6. Put in the oven (recommend method) until cheese has melted or microwave for 3-5 minutes.
  7. And voila — you can now serve the dip with some tortilla chips!

Queen of the South

Queen of the South

Queen of the South

Fortunately, this chili bean dip is so quick and simple to make that even people with no cooking skills can make it. On the other hand, the Mendoza Melon Margarita certainly takes a little bit more time and effort. However, the outcome is always worth it! Everyone gobbled down the dip and slurped down the cocktail and are pleading for me to make it again for next episode. Will you be watching Queen of the South next Thursday night? If so, you should definitely try making this flavorful dip and cocktail the next time you tune in!

28 Responses to “Queen of the South Inspired Cocktails and Treats

• Heather Johnson
    4 months ago

I heard about this show for the first time a few days ago. Those drinks look super fun and super tasty.

• Cassie
    4 months ago

Love the cocktails and snacks idea for binge watching!! I’ve never seen queen of the south but I think I definitely need to give it a go!

• Robin Rue
    4 months ago

That Mendoza Melon Margarita sounds really good. I think I am going to try that first.

• Helene Cohen Bludman
    4 months ago

The margarita idea has me hooked. I need to watch this show!

• Tara Pittnan
    4 months ago

I just bought a big watermelon so I have plenty. That drink is calling my name.

• Natalie
    4 months ago

I have not heard of Queen of the South until now. I will have to check it out, seems like a show I would enjoy!

• Krystel | Disney on a Budget
    4 months ago

You know, where I live today is a rainy lay in bed kind of day. I just started Supergirl on Netflix but Queen of the South is next for sure.

• Jen Temcio
    4 months ago

That drink looks like it is worth all the effort! I need a new show with a strong female lead. I can’t wait for Thursday!

• Blair villanueva
    4 months ago

I haven’t watched this tv series (but now am searching adding to my list!) . Also will try your recommended drink mix because this is exciting.

• I’ve not heard of this show before now, but I am definitely adding it to my watchlist! Your Mendoza margaritas sound heavenly and like the perfect refreshing summer cocktail!

• Audrey Marie
    4 months ago

The show sounds really good; I might have to check it out after finishing up Grey’s Anatomy! I’ll definitely save the margarita recipe for later 🙂

• Claudia Krusch
    4 months ago

I will have to pick a night to check out Queen of the South on Netflix. I am always looking for new shows to watch. This looks like the perfect treat and cocktail to have with it.

• Carol Cassara
    4 months ago

I’ve been hearing a lot about this show! It’s sounds like it’s going to kick some a**! It’s definitely a must see. I’d love a good cocktail in hand while watching it. This is great!

• Kristen from The Road to Domestication
    4 months ago

I’m coming to your house to watch and eat!!! (JK) I’ve seen the previews for this one, but haven’t watched it yet! I’ll add it to my list!

• Wendy Polisi
    4 months ago

I haven’t gotten a chance to watch this show yet. It sounds like I would love it.

• Willow
    4 months ago

I have seen advertisements for the show, but haven’t checked it out yet. I love margaritas and this one sounds wonderful! It is such a pretty color!

• Claire Santiago
    4 months ago

I can’t relate with the show but I can relate with the Margarita. Maybe I should try this the next time I organize a party at home.

• Nicola @ Happy Healthy Motivated
    4 months ago

These cocktails sound amazing! Love the colors and the lime slice decoration 🙂

• Clint
    4 months ago

That dip looks really good! I will have to make it for our next movie night.

• Adaleta
    4 months ago

Those cocktails look awesome!! I will definitely have to try them out!

• This looks SO amazing. Queen of the South is one of my favorite shows right now and I’d love to host a Queenpin party too! If/when I do, I’ll have to make these margaritas and dip!

• Dex morgan

Love Theresa ❤️

• Jasmine Eclipse
    4 months ago

I needed a new show to watch, so this blog is perfect! And who can complain when yummy drinks are involved? 🙂

• Kathiey
    4 months ago

That drink looks really good as does the dip. I have pinned it to my Pinterest so I can save the recipes…Thanks:-)

• Nicole Green
    4 months ago

Oooo I need to check out this show! The chili cheese dip looks DELICIOUS!

• I am a netflix addict and will definitely be adding this show to my list. Those maragaritas look amazing, I am definitely going to have to make them!

• Alayna
    4 months ago

I have heard of the show but never did watch it. I am always looking for new shows to binge on Netflix, maybe this can be the next one! Also, great idea for the themed snacks and drinks, they looked awesome!

• lauren
    4 months ago

I just heard of this show, we will have to check it out. The treats look even better! I love anything that involves tortilla chips!